Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Adding Contrast Makes a Difference!

I was very inspired by a member of my facebook drawing group to try my hand at some steampunk tangling.  
Steampunk art before adding contrast
before adding contrast
Pattern Collections has a bunch of steampunk patterns.  I absolutely love the pattern "Vintage Key" from Ina Sonnenmoser.

adding contrast helps drawings to pop
After adding some contrast
Adding contrast with watercolor pencils is what really made this tangle come together for me.


 I love using these watercolor pencils to add a pop of color.  Watercolor pencils have a little more control than regular watercolors in my opinion.  Since I don't usually use watercolor paper, using less water is usually a better option for me.  Watercolor pencils help with that a lot.

Oh!...and the edging on the paper is from a diecut from Tim Holtz.  I LOVE his diecuts! This is one of my favs. It's now retired, but I did find it on Amazon here:




4 comments: