Sunday, September 15, 2019

A Tangle on Grey Paper

Tangling on Grey Paper

A zentangle on grey colored paper
I realized that I often forget to list the names of the tangles that I use in my drawings.  I am so bad at that, I never can remember which ones are which! I will try to start listing them, but to be honest I cannot remember the names of any of these at the moment, whoops!

Let's talk about drawing technique instead ...

I've had a sketchbook of grey paper in my art supplies forever.  I see so many beautiful tangles on Pinterest using gray paper, but I'm always hesitant to draw on it.  Partially because when I buy a nice sketchbook I tend to sort of just leave it in my drawer. Stupid huh?  I am a hoarder of art supplies I suppose. lol

White charcoal, gelly roll pens, and pastels for contrast

I use white charcoal where I'd usually put graphite for shading.  It stands out so well on grey paper.  I also add extra "sparkle" using a white gelly roll pen to add an extra bright white to smaller areas. I happened to have a light blue pastel pencil that I used to give the "frame" of the Zentangle a slightly different color than the rest of the tile.  I hope it showed up in the picture enough to see, its just a subtle contrast, but I like it!

2 comments:

  1. I love this piece Alexandria. The contrasts against the grey paper are so striking. I want to do more work on grey and tan papers.

    I can spot Arukas, Shattuck and Mooka in your piece for starts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Yes, see all those sound familiar but I can never put a name to the "face" haha - I am working on getting my tangles organized with names ... slowly but surely :-)

    ReplyDelete